View and Search the Archive of 'Pics of the day'View the Lochcarron GalleriesJoin in the Lochcarron ForumsSend a Postcard from Lochcarron

Lochcarron Home PageAbout LochcarronLochcarron NewsLochcarron LinksContact Lochcarron

Visitor Map

Subject: Re: Re: Re: Hill Fire From: Send MailAlex Reply

Ken,
The fire extends over the back of the hills which cannot be seen, some forestry was involved. Fire service vehicles were in two locations that I saw Carron Restaurant / Crafts car park, and clearing within the forest boundary at the top of Cam-Allt. Neither of these locations have any safe parking on the nearby road, so no pictures.

From my house a couple of miles away you won't see fire officers on the ground over there. The road on fire side of the loch is partly tree lined on fire side and steep hill too. So it's not possible to see activity up the hill and over the brow.

Deployment of helicopters which have to he hired in depends on various factors, cause of fire, occupier of land, owner of land, especially if no immediate risk to life or property. One was eventually deployed but a lot of its activity was out of site from the road on that side by the fire and from my home side too.

Lochcarron has one crew, next are 25 & 50 miles away. All are retained status with other jobs, only Inverness has full time crew, they did provide Incident Commander. However, there were 5 similar incidents within 25-50 miles to deal with at the same time and I believe a helicopter at two of them. So even helicopters being available from their Inverness base has limitations alongside other work.

Alex

This message is a Reply to: Re: Re: Hill Fire from Ken Matheson
Replies to this message:
Re: Re: Re: Re: Hill Fire by Ken Matheson

Back to forum